Step 1: Complete the online DS-160 application form
- Each applicant must complete the on-line DS-160 application. All non-immigrant visa applicants, regardless of what class of visa they are applying for are required to fill out this form on-line prior to their appointment at the Consulate. (This form takes the place of the DS-156 and DS-157 paper and electronic application forms.)
- After completing the DS-160 form, applicants must print 2 copies of the application conformation page and bring them to the appointment. Please note that without the confirmation pages applicants will not be allowed to interview and will be returned to schedule new appointment and bring the correct documentation along with them. Click to see a sample of the confirmation page (PDF 96 KB). (Do not print and bring this sample page; your confirmation page will have your specific information.)
- Be sure to include accurate names, addresses, and contact information for the hotel or other accommodations where you will be staying in the United States. Your name, date of birth, and other biographical information must match your passport EXACTLY. Complete and accurate application materials will decrease waiting times for applicants.
Note: The form DS-160 also requires a digital photo, less than 1MB, to be uploaded as part of the application process. Click here for photo requirements. Although uploading a photo is part of the application process, we still require visa applicants to bring one photo with them to the visa interview in the event that the system will not accept the uploaded version.
- Once you start the on-line form, save your work often because the forms will time-out (close) approximately every 20 minutes. Save it to your computer or a disk where you can retrieve it. The form can take as long as 90 minutes to complete. For instructions on how to save your form, refer to DS-160 Frequently Asked Questions.
- Thank You page – option for Family or Group application - When you select this option, certain information from your application, such as destination, will automatically be imported to a new application. You can create an individual application for each family member / person within the group and modify the data as needed.
Important information about the DS-160 application - Failure to follow these instructions may result in the rejection of your application.
- The form must be completed in English.
- All questions must be completely and accurately filled out.
- If someone other than you completes the application, their information must be completed in the Preparer Information section of the form.
- Click to see DS-160 Frequently Asked Questions.
All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by clicking the link above.