Messages to U.S. Citizens
Messages to US Citizens
Due to a recent report of an individual who was hit repeatedly by a vehicle and seriously injured when walking on the road in Al-Bahia, a rural area of Abu Dhabi, the U.S. Embassy cautions citizens to be aware of their surroundings when walking or exercising in remote and rural areas of Abu Dhabi, especially Al-Bahia. Some areas do not have camera surveillance and are less frequently patrolled by the police. Carry your mobile phone with you at all times and call 999 for any emergency (police, fire or ambulance).
Review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings, including local events, and monitor local news stations for updates. Be vigilant and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For further information:
- See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and United Arab Emirates Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate General in the United Arab Emirates. The U.S. Embassy is located in the Embassies District area off of Airport Road, at +971-2-414-2200, 8:30am to 5:00p.m. Sunday through Thursday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +971-2-414-2200. The U.S. Consulate General in Dubai is located at the corner of Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed and Al Seef Streets on the Dubai Creek in Bur Dubai. The telephone number at the Consulate General is (971) (4) 309-4000.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
As always, all American citizens in the United Arab Emirates, whether visiting or residing here, are encouraged to register their presence using the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program at https://step.state.gov/step/. By registering, you will be able to receive messages from us directly via email. You will also help the Consulate General better assist you in the event of an emergency. If the timings of your trip or your contact details change, you can just visit the website and update the information. Please take a moment to register your presence – or to update your information
- Log in or Create an Account
- Fill out personal information, make sure to add a valid email address for each family member (the Consulate only communicates via email).
- Add a trip – if you live in the UAE, add a trip for the UAE, marking it as an extended stay. You may add as many trips as you like, to any country that you are traveling to, including specific dates.
- Add your itinerary – choose United Arab Emirates and then choose Dubai as your local Consulate; or the closest Consulate or Embassy on your trip.
- Travel Information Email Distribution List – if you would like to receive notifications from the Consulate, please choose the UAE (and any other country from the drop down list). Please also click the box at the bottom to receive specific emails.